As we say goodbye to spring, we welcome summer with open arms. But as summer swiftly sifts into orbit, we also say hello to warm weather which can sometimes take a toll on our beauty products. No need to fret because as long as you have a “goof-proof” make-up bag, everything should fall nicely into place!
1. Of course the #1 product on this list is and should always be sunscreen. Unless you to want to look like Tan Mom in your 20’s. Always make sure to carry and apply sunscreen on a daily basis. I’m huge fan of Neutrogena products and I was extremely happy when they finally released a sunscreen specifically for your face. It’s wise to choose a sunscreen with SPF 25 for your face (this one has 30) and at least SPF 50 for the rest of your body. Neutrogena Clear Face Sunscreen, SPF 30, $10
2. It’s evident that you want to smell incredibly fresh in the summer what with the sticky weather and all. I usually search for a scent that has notes of apple, orange blossom, or cedar wood for a mixture of sweet and spicy and this Be Delicious Fresh Blossom perfume from DKNY is right up my alley. It’s a mixture of both femininity and vitality with a base of apple as well as lingering notes of grapefruit, cassis, apricot and jasmine. This is by far one of my favorite summer scents. DKNY Be Delicious Fresh Blossom, $45
3. Thankfully now that my hair has grown back to length where I can finally do things with it, I have retreated to leaving it in cascading waves for summer. With that said, this spray from Bumble and Bumble has become my go-to product to create the perfect, effortless waves. The smell is amazing and it doesn’t leave your hair feeling stiff like other hairsprays do. Bumble and Bumble “Surf” hairspray, $25
4. I’m such a huge fan of getting weekly pedicures but in the summer, I bump it up to every four days. It might have something to do with the fact that I live in sandals and therefore get tired of seeing the same color on my toes. For the summer, I usually like going with either a bright coral or turquoise because I feel it balances out my tan skin. I’ve always been an admirer of Essie products and this beautiful color from the brand is perfect. Essie Nail Polish in “In The Cab-Ana” Color, $12
5. I never used to wear bronzer mainly because I would always apply to much and ended up looking ridiculous. However, now that I’ve discovered the right way to apply it, I’ve become quite obsessed. I only dust a small amount along my cheeks and forehead to achieve a sunkissed look. It can be a bit difficult to find the perfect bronzer but believe me when I say this version from Too Faced is completely appealing. It gives you just the right amount of flush without looking fake. Too Faced 16Hour Stay All Day Long Bronzer, $30
6. I absolutely hate wearing lipgloss in the summer. All it does is gets stuck in my hair when the wind blows leaving my face feel all sticky. Instead, I opt for a tinted lip-balm because not only does it give me the right amount of color without the sheen but it also moisturizes my lips as well. I cannot express how in love I am with Sugar’s Honey lip tint collection. Not only can it be used as a lipblam but you can also apply it to your cheeks for a slight flush without getting pimples afterwards from the oil. This product is perfect for summer and really should be in every girl’s make-case.
7. If you’ve already been introduced to BB Cream then you know the benefits. I don’t like wearing make-up in the summer but I’ll make an exception for BB Cream since it’s loaded with antioxidants and sunscreen. This version from Clinque is light and doesn’t have the heavy feel like many BB Creams do. Clinque Age Defense BB Cream, $37
8. I usually tan pretty well but that doesn’t necessarily mean I like to. If I can help it, I like to stay out of the sun as much as possible to avoid sun damage. Avoiding the sun leaves me resembling a pasty ghost which isn’t ideal in the summer. So, rather than risk skin cancer, I opt for tan towels which have been a Godsend. These Kate Sommerville ones give me a nice glow without making me look like a Jersey Shore member. Kate Sommerville 360 Tanning Towelettes, $48 for a box of 8
9. My face gets really oily in the summertime and it can sometimes lead to unwanted pimples. With that said, I’ve turned to oil blotting sheets. I literally have a box of these Boscia blotting sheets in almost all of my purses whenever I feel as if my face is becoming oily from the heat. They’ve really helped and leave my face feeling refreshed and shine free. Boscia Blotting Sheets, $10 for a box of 100