If you’re anything like me, you probably have an unhealthy fetish for teenage television. Don’t get me wrong, I frequent CNN and Fox News on a daily basis; right after I’ve watched the latest episode of Pretty Little Liars. Thousands, if not millions, tune in each week to watch the teenage mystery-thriller, loosely based on the popular series of novels written by Sara Shepard. The show centers around four estranged best friends Spencer, Hanna, Aria, and Emily, who are reunited after their best friend, Alison, goes missing only to discover they are receiving messages from an anonymous “A”. It is the type of television series which keeps the viewer, mainly teenagers and young adults, on their toes and guessing throughout each season. As if murder and intrigue weren’t enough, the show has it’s fair share of relationship drama, sexuality crisis, parental issues, and much more.
It’s pretty much the exact plot which centers around almost every teenage television series, past and present. But as I was watching the latest episode last week, it left me to wonder about the wardrobe choices each character wore. Not only are the outfits on the show incredibly stylish, they’re unrealistic. Unless you’re waltzing into Hollywood High, where it’s customary for teens to sport designer duds; you’re not going to find a sixteen-year-old rocking 6-inch heels and a Gucci handbag. But to be fair, Pretty Little Liars isn’t the only show in which the main characters’ wardrobe consists of designer labels.
Characters on previous shows such as Gossip Girl, The Lying Game, and 90210, were all dressed as if they were attending a Friday night at Les Deux, rather than a 6 hour day at school. Their make-up is flawless, their hair is perfectly styled, and they always appear to have a designer handbag in hand. It’s an falsified representation of how teens look today and therefore somewhat annoying to watch. Don’t get me wrong, I love fahion just as much as the next fashionista. I would just prefer it remain one the catwalk; not on my favorite T.V show’s.
There are multiple factors which must be included in an item before I purchase it. One detail which ranks higher above any other is comfort. If a particular item doesn’t fit the way I want, there’s really no need to purchase it. Once summer rolls around, my epic need for comfort is suddenly enhanced. Unlike autumn and winter, summer is a season where I don’t feel the need to look stylish. Now, you won’t catch me leaving the house looking like a hot mess, after all; fashion is my one true love. But you won’t find me dressed for a fashion show, covered head to toe in accessorizes either.
Instead, you’ll find me in neutral colors combined with loose-fitting silhouettes. The need to look “pretty” has vanished and replaced with the desire to feel comfortable. So it was no surprise that when I found this shirt dress at Topshop, I instantly had to have it. Not only is it extremely comfortable, it’s completely versatile as well. Simply wear it by itself with chic sandals or dress it up with heels and stylish clutch. Oh, and did I mention it’s under $100?
The air is warmer, the pools are open, and school is finally out. It must be summer time! Ah yes, the time of year when bulky coats are discarded and traded in for short short’s and knee-length dresses. It’s by far my favorite season ever. Not merely because my birthday happens to be in August but because summer fashion is simply more exciting. Don’t get me wrong, I love chunky knits and ankle booties as much as the next fashionista. But let’s face it, you can’t really pull off a floral maxi and wedges when it’s below freezing outside. Hence, why summer is the ultimate time of year for fashion.
With that said, to commemorate the start of the season, I thought I would introduce you to the top 5 summer trends I adore. So without further delay, let’s get started!
1. Bermuda Shorts- Although I happen to be a huge fan of denim cut off’s. I was beyond thrilled when I discovered Bermuda shorts were back in style. If you’re an avid reader of The Gaiety Girl, you’d understand why. There’s a masculine vibe to the trend and with menswear having a huge influence on my style, it’s no wonder why I love the look so much. If you’re a girly tomboy like me, the best way to way to wear this look is with a floral crop top, ankle strap sandals, and a killer clutch. If you’re more tomboy than girly, pair this look with a basic tank, oversize blazer, and oxfords for an androgynous vibe head to toe!
2. Jumpsuits- During the summer, I like to feel comfortable and stylish. There’s no better way to incorporate the both than with a chic jumpsuit. It’s an effortless way to look stylish without having to go to the extreme to do so. There really doesn’t take much to look fashionable in a jumpsuit. I enjoy floral versions with a low-cut silhouette. The easiest way to style this look is with a pair of cute sandals, gold bangles and an awesome crossbody satchel.
3. Crop Tops- I’m obsessed with crop tops at the moment. They’re absolutely perfect for those extremely humid days, which are often in NYC during the summer. Many women might be a little hesitant to the trend merely because it leaves ones’ midsection visible. But there really isn’t any need to feel that way. Crop tops are for every shape and size, and not to mention; utterly stylish. I gravitate more towards the looser version, pairing it with slouchy trousers and gladiators. If you’re searching for a more girlish approach, pair the look with a floral full shirt, ankle strap heels, and a chic clutch for the perfect summer ensemble.
4. Overalls-Perhaps it’s a result from being born in the 90’s or just the fact that I find them plain fashionable. Either way, overalls are my all-time favorite trend for summer. There another one of those none difficult looks to pull off. I like to keep it simple when wearing this look. I simply pair my overalls with a loose, short-sleeved t-shirt, Ked’s, and vintage sunnies. If you’re searching for a more stylish ensemble, pair your overalls with a blazer, ankle strap sandals, and a chic messenger bag.
5. Maxi Dress- Alas, we arrive at our final destination; the Maxi Dress. No other summer trend comes quite close to beating the Maxi Dress. It’s stylish, simplistic, and utterly comfortable. There’s honestly no wrong way to accessorize this look since it’s pretty much goof proof. But if you’re a big on accessories, the best way to style this look is with an oversize blazer, gladiator sandals, and bright messenger bag.